Snæfellsjökull Snow-cat Tour
Popular guided tour
Our Snæfellsjökull Snow-cat Tour is a spectacular sightseeing excursion will bring you close to one of Iceland’s most spectacular and mystical glaciers, Snæfellsjökull.
Our Snæfellsjökull Snow-cat Tour starts in Grundarfjörður but we can also pick up from the camping site in Ólafsvík upon request.
Through an old and very scenic mountain pass on the northern side of Snæfellsnes Peninsula, we will drive to the root of Snæfellsjökull glacier. Here you hop onto our snow-cat that will take you higher up on the glacier.
How high up we will go will depend on the weather and the ice conditions.
Snæfellsjökull rises 1446 meters above sea level. This glacier-topped volcano is where Jules Verne set a passage leading to the center of the Earth in his popular novel Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Mystics from all over the world have visited the Snæfellsjökull claiming it is one of the Earth’s seven sources of spiritual energy.
Whether this is true or not, it is not up to us to say but we Snæfellsjökull certainly is a special glacier and, with this excursion, you have the chance to explore it and get to know it better.
We will make some stops where you will be able to get off the snow-cat, enjoy some time on the glacier and take some nice pictures.
What you need to bring
- Warm clothes
- Hat and gloves
- Good outdoor shoes are recommended
Know before you go
- Our Snæfellsjökull Glacier Tour is a sightseeing tour on a snow-cat. You will have some time to walk around on the glacier but this is not a glacier hike.
- The views from Snæfellsjökull depend on the weather conditions.
- How high up on the glacier we go will depend on weather and glacier conditions.
- Due to varying weather conditions in the area, we reserve the right to cancel the tour with short notice.
Unfortunately, due to the unfavorable glacier conditions, we will not be running our Snæfellsjökull Snow-cat Tours any longer this year.
We will start our Snæfellsjökull Snow-cat Tours again next April.