Shark and Lava Winter Tour
Popular guided tour
Get ready for an out-of-the-ordinary adventure where you will discover one of Iceland’s strangest traditions and explore places whose history traces back to the legendary Icelandic Sagas.
The meeting point for this tour is our office in Grundarfjörður, a small town at the foot of the spectacular Kirkjufell Mountain, one of Iceland‘s most famous mountains.
The first stop of your adventure will be Bjarnarhöfn Shark Museum, where you will learn all about Iceland’s culinary tradition of hákari. Hákari consists of Greenlandic shark meat which is cured, fermented and hung to dry for a few months. In this interesting museum you will learn the techniques used to ferment the shark before you get to taste this all Icelandic traditional food…if you are brave enough and can get over the smell!
Our next stop will be the beautiful Bersekjahraun lava field, a very big and spectacular lava field created from an ancient lava flow that took place around 3.000-4.000 years ago. Here the moss-covered rocks and the winter snow create fantastic color contrasts that you will be able to capture with your cameras as you will have a chance to walk on the paths in the lava field. As we drive through this unique lava field, our guide will entertain you with the history and the legends connected to this place that takes its name from the Icelandic Sagas.
The tour will end in back where it started, just outside our office in Grundarfjörður.
What you need to bring
- Warm clothes
- Hat and gloves
- Good and comfortable outdoor shoes
Know before you go
- The meeting point is Snæfellsnes Excursions, Sólvellir 5, 350 Grundarfjörður.
Please be there at least 20 minutes before the departure time.
- The weather in Iceland is always unpredictable and can be especially challenging in the winter.
- The tour itinerary can change according to weather conditions. We care about your safety which is why this tour needs to be flexible.
- We reserve the right to cancel this tour with short notice, should weather conditions be bad in the area.